Making these cookies brings back memories of the sweet and selfless person who made me realize the importance of family recipes. When you can see her hand writing and it’s like she is in the kitchen with me. These cookies are more flat than some cookie recipes, but what they lack in height, they make up in the flavor. These are perfect for ice cream sandwiches, and are very sweet and chewy.
- 1 Cup Shortening
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips (Add more if you like more chocolate!)
- Cream together shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda. Add eggs and vanilla to shortening mixture and then slowly add dry ingredients. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 9 to 10 minutes or until edges are brown.
Make sure you try them once with the original recipe, but if you want to change them up a bit try these ideas!
- Do half butter and half shortening
- Add 1/8 tsp. almond extract