I originally got my scone recipe from my FACS class in high school but throughout my years of being a nanny, I made a few changes to cover all of their chocolate cravings. These aren’t your normal scones that are flaky, they are moist and soft like a dense cake which makes them a wonderful sweet treat for anyone with a sweet tooth!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Spray a 12 inch circle of cooking spray on a cookie sheet
- Measure the dry ingredients and place them into a large mixing bowl. stir with a wooden spoon
- Place the margarine into the bowl of dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender cut the margarine in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- Combine milk and lemon juice in a separate bowl, pour the milk mixture and chocolate chips into the dry mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are just mixed in. The dough will be soft.
- Sprinkle flour onto a flat surface and scrape the dough onto the floured surface. Place a little flour on your hands and knead the dough 8-10 times.
- Using your hands, pat the dough out into an 8 pie shaped wedges. Putting flour on a knife or pizza cutter helps it from sticking.
- Place the wedges slightly apart on the sprayed cookie sheet
- Bake 12-15 minutes. Serve warm
Remove the cocoa to make plain chocolate chip scones