Heads up, if you are going to make this….better make two!
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Flour or 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 3 cups Milk
- 4 Eggs
- 3 Tbs. Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Baked pastry shell (use the single-crust recipe on my blog except prick bottom and sides with the tines of a fork. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till golden. Cool on a wire rack.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While that is preheating toast the coconut till light brown and set aside for later. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Separate egg yolks from whites, set whites aside for meringue. Beat egg yolks slightly. Gradually stir 1 cup of the hot mixture into yolks. Return egg mixture to saucepan, bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, vanilla, and toasted coconut. Pour hot filling into baked pastry shell. Spread meringue over hot filling; seal edge and top with 1/3 cup of coconut flakes. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or till golden. Let cool and store in fridge till time to serve.
Meringue for Pie:
- 4 Egg whites
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. Cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- In a small mixer bowl beat the egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar at medium speed of an electric mixer for about one minute or until soft peaks form ( this is when you take the mixer out of the bowl and if it makes little peaks that slowly fall down then it is a soft peak). Gradually add the sugar beating at high speed for about four minutes more or till stiff peaks form (same thing but when you take the mixer out of the bowl, the peak will stay up and not move).